May 3, 2022
Monroe-Armour Roundabout Work Progresses Toward Completion, Rescheduled for this Summer
Atlanta - Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) contractors have provided an updated schedule for completion of the Monroe-Armour Roundabout at the intersection of Monroe Drive NE and Armour Drive NE in the City of Atlanta, Fulton County. The revised schedule predicts an early July 2022 completion. Delays related to the relocation of several utilities in the project area (including Atlanta Gas Light, AT&T and Zayo) have been resolved. Continued construction of sidewalks and the roundabout center island is dependent on securing the required concrete quantities, given the nationwide shortage.
Weather and on-site conditions permitting, contractors will continue Stage 2 activities this week and begin Stage 3 in May as follows:
- Curb and gutter installations are currently underway.
- Pending concrete delivery, sidewalk construction will begin this week and allow progression to Stage 3. These concrete pours will require lane closures and flagging Operations.
- Stage 3 construction, targeted for mid- to late May, shifts traffic onto the new
roundabout lane configuration. On-site signage and barrels will direct traffic flow and emergency vehicles will pace traffic to slower speeds. The shift will be timed to minimize impacts to commuters in the area.
- Stage 3 also includes construction of the roundabout center island (estimated two- three weeks), installation and activation of lighting, installation of landscaping, paving and striping the lanes through end of June 2022.
- Given the above schedule, GDOT anticipates final acceptance of the completed project in early July.
Once complete, features of the new single-lane Monroe-Armour Roundabout will improve drivers and pedestrian safety and reduce traffic delays through this busy intersection, including:
- On Armour Drive southbound, a new right turn lane and left turn lane
- On Monroe Drive westbound, a shared right turn and through lane
- On Monroe Drive eastbound, a shared left turn and through lane; and
- The existing right-turn only lane on the SR 13 exit ramp to the intersection will be converted to a shared left and right turn lane.
- In addition, a bus stop and ADA-compliant sidewalks and curb and gutter will be Constructed.
The $1.6 million project is scheduled for completion in early July 2022, pending weather, on-site conditions and the availability of required concrete quantities.
Message boards and signage will advise drivers to slow their speed through the area.
Motorists are advised to expect some traffic delays, exercise caution, and reduce their speed while traveling through work zones. Before heading out, get real-time information on work status and traffic conditions. Call 511, visit 511ga.org, or download the Georgia 511 app.
Akara Tan, GDOT Project Manager
Work Cell: (404) 809-0098
Akara Tan, Construction Project Manager
Project Email: Armour-MonroeRoundabout@dot.ga.gov
(this email connects to GDOT project staff including the project manager)
www.dot.ga.gov Monroe Armour